The first part of business before knowing which tactic to run is to scout your opponents formation before the beginning of kick-off. If he happens to run a 4-1-2-1-2 that is a narrow formation, but on the contrary if it's a 4-3-3 that would be wide. Keep in mind what this is because we are going to use the team width to counter his tactics.
Build Up Play
- Speed - 65/70 - Players look to break more for through passes
- Passing - 50 Keep it balanced looking for short and long passes
- Positioning - Organized Players stay in their designated position
- Passing - 20/30 This keeps everyone at home and lets you control an attacker if you want him to run (L1/Lb). Also helps if you get countered quite often in games.
- Crossing - 70 -This is totally dependent on your team. I use a target man which helps me be more successful crossing into the box. If you don't have the players put this below 50.
- Shooting - 70/75 - Players find a position for the first time shot. I use around 70 so this could be tweaked to your play style.
- Positioning - Organized
- Pressure 20* and 75* - 20 defends the lobbed passes and 75 goes closer to midfield and attack the opposing team.
- Aggression - around 40/50 - The lower the aggression the more your defence contains, the higher aggression the more they take that sliding tackle. Not a bad idea to mix in different settings along with pressure to keep your opponent guessing all game.
- Team Width* - Narrow to counter against 4-1-2-1-2 wide to counter 4-3-3 (examples)
- Defender line - Cover - totally dependent on your style, I don't use offside trap often however if your good at it then use that setting!
With the defence you will have to spend some time and make your custom tactics to where you want them to be. Two separate tactics to counter the opponents formations and 2 tactics to have both high and low pressure. Example, your opponent receives the ball after a missed shot and he is on the counter, You would have a set custom tactic on the D-Pad quickly switch the low pressure to have your back Defenders playing the lob ball. When your defence is fully back switch back the high pressure on the D-pad that you will assign! Hope the will help some of you with custom tactics. For a lot of people (including myself) it is over looked and not use. This can change the game and help you dominate possession and put you in a position to win more games!